FatherWilliam TOSSELL , 17678 (ca1830-1926)
MotherMary WOODFORD , 17679 (-1911)
From "History & Heritage of Binbrook, 1792 - 1973", pg. 296:
TOSSELL by Marjorie Tossell
William Tossell was born in Devonshire, England in 1830. One of a family of seven, he came to Canada at the age of 18 or 20, by sailboat, taking over six weeks to make the trip. He farmed with Nicholas Swayze for a few years, then became head sawyer at a large lumber mill owned by the late Richard Quance. He purchased the farm which is still owned and occupied by the fourth generation of Tossells.
He was a real pioneer, using oxen and a stumping machine to clear the thickly wooded and stump covered land. Oxen also provided transportation to Binbrook Methodist Church. In 1853 he m Mary Woodford, c Mary, Sarah, Martha, John, William. In 1908 he retired in Stoney Creek until his death in 1926. His wife predeceased him in 1911.
Mary m John Murney (see Murney), Sarah spinster, Martha d young.
William m Martha Laidman 1865-1912, c Lillian 1899-1910, buried in Auld Kirk Cemetery. William m2
Mary (Mame) McKenzie, William m Betty Stanley; Ruth m Ivan Parish.
John 1865-1958 remained on the farm, L5, C2, B2. He m Mary Laidman, they are buried in Auld Kirk Cemetery. c Myrtle, Franklyn. Myrtle d 1972 m James Stewart d 1958, c Jack d 1963, buried in Auld Kirk Cemetery; Pearl, Lillian, Marion. Pearl m Rymal Nelson; Lillian m Douglas Soules; Marion m Donald Tweedle.
Franklyn (Frank) m Beth Shannon in 1921. He owned and lived on the farm until his death in 1958. c Harold, Elwood. Harold m Marjorie Ecker in 1945, c Joan, Lyle. Harold and his family have owned and lived on the farm since 1958. Joan m William Davie, c Elizabeth, William. Elwood, a graduate of O.A.C. Guelph, m Jean Callander in 1947, Elwood is Dean of Research at University of Guelph.